It’s Thanksgiving Eve. I can’t believe it! November, what are you even doing here? Crazy how fast 2012 has already sped by. I mean, I’m definitely still writing 2011 at the top of the page.
I love Thanksgiving. It’s super American, I’m usually seeing my family for the first time in a few months, and egg nog is in stores. Such a glorious kick-off to the holiday season. While I could write about the topic of thankfulness for days, I don’t feel like crying this morning, and a list is always better.
Here are a few things I’m thankful for in 2012:
1. My precious husband, who presses the snooze button as many times as I ask and surprises me by hanging twinkle lights while I’m at work.
2. My supportive family (old and new), who never forget to tell me they love me when we hang up the phone.
3. My teeny, tiny niece, who is the cutest being to ever grace the planet.
4. Smart phones, so that I can see aforementioned niece whenever I feel like demanding a photo.
5. Old friends, who are always up for a chat and who I miss terribly.
6. New friends, who have made Chicago feel (almost) like home.
7. My health, something I’ve taken for granted too often.
8. My faith, what I lean on when I just want to ask why.
9. My country, where my vote is counted because of so many brave people. (Sort of related: you should definitely see Lincoln over the break. It’s excellent.)
10. This outlet, which is making me feel creative again.
11. Hot chocolate.
I hope you have some time, between the green bean casserole and pumpkin pie, to steal a quiet moment alone and remember what you’re thankful for. (Doesn’t everyone’s family make them do this at the dinner table? Bleh the pressure!)
I’ll be unplugging for the next few days (not from instagram, obvi) to spend some time with family and EAT. Wishing all of you a very happy Thanksgiving.