Today is HALLOWEEN! In the mood for real historical content? Click here. Not? Read on.
Before we get to today’s history lesson, I have a confession to make. I don’t like Halloween. I’m sorry, but I don’t. Here’s my reasoning:
1. Too much planning. What will I wear? Where will I party? How do I coordinate a purse with this outfit? I’m a procrastinator by nature, so I always end up hauling through the pop-up warehouses a day or two before Halloween. Doesn’t ever end well (picture the “sexy” eskimo, two sizes too small. Ah, memories.)
2. Crowds. Crowds of strangers, no less, if you’re in a new city. I’m a claustrophobe, and I prefer a telephone-booth’s worth of space surrounding me at all times. I don’t enjoy being touched (grazed/bumped) by strangers. Which leads me to..
3. People drinking in disguises. Which results in people feeling anonymous, which inevitably leads to people touching parts of other people’s costumes without permission. What’s that? Can I try on your hat? Cool, you have a tail! Let me see that. No.
What I do enjoy about Halloween:
1. Other people’s creative/how-did-they-think-of-that costumes
2. Candy (the new mini Reese’s are my faves!)
When it comes to truly thought-out costumes, nobody does it better than Heidi Klum. (Btw, how sad is the break-up? Seriously, I thought they were golden. Boo.) Her Halloween get-ups are always show-stopping, and her team of minions she thinks of every little detail. Let’s take a stroll down Heidi’s Halloween History lane…
2000: gothic bondage lady
2001: Lady Godiva
2002: Betty Boop
2003: Gold Extra-Terrestrial
2004: The Red Witch
2006: Sexy Biblical Apple (?)
2007: Cat (I think she procrastinated this year)
2008: Hindu Goddess Kali
2009: Black Crow
2011: a freaking fleshy body
Due to nasty Hurricane Sandy, Heidi has postponed her annual Halloween bash until later this year. Rumor has it, she’s coming as Cleopatra–can’t wait to see her!
I hope you have a very Happy Halloween. I’ll be thinking about all of you festive peeps while I celebrate on my couch. Hocus Pocus better be on tonight.Photos from Celebuzz an Buzzfeed.